Histomat: Adventures in Historical Materialism

'Historical materialism is the theory of the proletarian revolution.' Georg Lukács

Thursday, January 31, 2008

New uses for Christopher Hitchens books

No. 94. Stopping Water Damage From A Leaky Roof

This morning I awoke to the sound of drip...drip...drip. Basically, my bedroom roof was leaking, but I only noticed because the rain water happened to fall down and bounce off the cover of a copy of Christopher Hitchens, For The Sake of Argument; Essays and Minority Reports, (London, Verso, 1994), which a friend had lent me and was conveniently lying around unread on my bedroom floor. If Hitchens's collected essays hadn't been there, perhaps the leak would have gone undetected, leading to untold water damage with who knows what consequences. I wonder if any Histomat readers have by chance found similar uses for old copies of Hitchens's writings...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:04 pm, Blogger Adam Marks said...

I don't know about anyone else but I use Hitchens writing as a prop for justifying a brutal war of agression

 
At 11:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good book that, wonder what your friend will think?

 
At 10:22 am, Blogger Snowball said...

Roobin - we are talking about books by the early Hitchens here, not the late Hitchens whose books I would not read on principle.

Matthew - Fortunately, the cover seemed to be quite shiny/glossy (with a picture of Hitchens looking well, far better than he looks these days), and the water just dropped down and bounced off leaving no noticeable signs of damage. My friend need never know. I mean, I've only told the world about it via the internet after all...

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger Adam Marks said...

The Late Hitchens... Ok, whimisical imagination. Those with a lino floor collections of Hitchens books and tortoises can use them as an excellent substitute for pub skittles... and king sized mars bars make great normal sized mars bars for giants etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home